Early growth


Under the leadership of Beat Steck, COMET AG continuously expanded its range of fixed anode tubes for medical x-ray technology. Rotation anode x-ray tubes were added to the product range in the early fifties. The young company acquired a license for in-house production of this type of tube from its American partner Machlett Ltd. in 1954, enabling top-notch products to be series-produced in Switzerland and exported around the world from May 1956 onward. The first product development laboratory was set up in 1956.
COMET AG opened Switzerland’s first commercially-run dosimetry station in the mid-fifties. A new dosimetry system was used to monitor the x-ray burden of exposed individuals and staff and the new unit helped optimize constructional radiation protection within the company. Ahead of its time, COMET took the first steps toward ensuring occupational safety and health protection.
 
These years were marked by extraordinarily strong determination, swift adaptation to new circumstances, and not least a passion for technology and innovation. The management’s underlying optimism made it possible to overcome impasses and setbacks and adjust to changes in technology.